Saturday, December 1, 2007

Comfort zone...not so much!

So yesterday (thurs) I went down into the city of Ft. Myers. I had never really been that far north on 41 before but I was ok with that...I think. A group of people from the church I attend go down and feed the homeless every thurs. afternoon and have a message and get to fellowship with the people. Let's just say...I was overwhelmed! This is kind of sad to admit, but I have never physically been that close to a homeless person before. I had some friends there, but I knew God wanted me to come out of my "shell." God has been teaching me lately that I need to stop relying on other people and my "comfort zone" all the time. At home my comfort zone was obviously my house and some of our close friends house, and now being at school it has moved on to be with friends from Ignite or families that have taken me in like another child...it amazes me how couples/people down here bring you into their family, pretty much. Anyway, this comfort zone thing...I was tested about a month ago when I was asked to go to Africa with a friend of mine. I got so nervous when she asked because I had never been over-seas before, I didn't even want to ask my parents what they thought and honestly I didn't even want to pray about it. SAD! But, I started to anyway...and my heart definitely broke for the people there and the situation they are in. So God really laid it on my heart to get a passport 1 and 2 start doing something about it. I know this summer I am suppose to go somewhere, out of the country or not, to honestly share his love with others and "walk in love." This experience yesterday was just a quick glimpse of what I am going to see in Africa, Mexico, and whereever I end up this summer...Interesting to see how quicky God can change your heart...

I was talking to one of the guys that attended the lunch for the people on the street. His name is Gary, and he caught my attention by just sitting on a bench watching everyone else interact and run up for more food, etc. There was something about him that I knew I had to see. THIS is where I come out of my "shell." I walk towards him already intimidated because he was a man. I started talking to him about random things, where he grew up and his family...and I began to see this love and peace that I had never seen before. After sharing story after story with him, all I could say was..."wow, how encouraging." I was abosolutely in awe of God for his amazing work in this mans life and seeing Gary really live his life sold out to Christ. Understanding what Jesus did for him and his life, and the situation he had to go through with a love of his life, putting her 1st before God, knowing he became homeless because that was the only way (in his life) for God to get his attention...and then PRAISING HIM FOR DOING THAT IN HIS LIFE! Amazing to me....

Thats all

No comments: